An inquiry has been launched into the health and wellbeing of children and young people by a Scottish Parliament Committee.
The Health, Social Care and Sport Committee is seeking to find out the key issues around health and wellbeing for children and young people in Scotland. They will investigate what the challenges and opportunities are for improving their health and wellbeing, and how addressing poverty can lead to improved health and social care outcomes.
The inquiry will focus on 4 key areas:
• Child poverty (including the Scottish Government’s current child poverty delivery plan), inequality and adverse childhood experiences;
• Issues affecting care experienced young people;
• Mental health, access to Child and Adult Mental Health Services (CAMHS) and the importance of early intervention;
• Health and wellbeing in schools
Speaking as the inquiry launched, Gillian Martin MSP, Convener of the Health, Social Care and Sport Committee, said:
“There are a whole host of factors which impact the health and wellbeing of our children and young people, and our Committee will consider these in detail.
“The physical and mental toll of the pandemic on children and young people cannot be overstated and we know that prior to this pandemic there was already a high and
increasing demand for youth mental health services in Scotland.
“As we emerge from the pandemic and with the Scottish Government’s current child poverty delivery plan due to run until 2022, our inquiry comes at a pivotal time. We are determined to find out how children and young people can best be supported to live healthy and flourishing lives.”
You can let the Committee know your views here: Inquiry into the Health And Wellbeing of Children And Young People - Scottish Parliament - Citizen Space
The call for views will close on 7 December 2021.
You can learn more about the work of the Health, Social Care and Sport Committee on the Scottish Parliament website.
Nick Connelly: 0131 348 5453 / 07866 125623
Text Relay calls welcome
For further information on this inquiry please contact Heather Galway, Assistant Clerk to the Health, Social Care and Sport Committee - Heather.Galway@parliament.scot
• Telephone enquiry line: 0800 092 7500 or 0131 348 5395 (Gàidhlig)
• Text 07786 209 888
• Ask a question online through live chat
• We also welcome calls using the Text Relay service or in British Sign Language through contactSCOTLAND-BSL
You can also follow the Scottish Parliament on Twitter @scotparl and keep up to date with the Health, Social Care and Sport Committee @SP_HSCS
Like us on Facebook for updates on news and events
Or find out more on YouTube