The President of the Republic of Malawi, His Excellency Professor Peter Mutharika, is to Address all MSPs. The Address will take place in the Scottish Parliament Chamber on Thursday 26 April, following First Minister’s Questions.
This will be the fourth time a Malawian President has addressed all MSPs, and the second time this Parliamentary session that a Head of State has visited Holyrood.
The President will be welcomed into the Parliament by Presiding Officer Rt Hon Ken Macintosh MSP, who will also host a reception in his honour. The visit will be an opportunity to celebrate the many civic, political and personal ties that link Scotland and Malawi.
Ahead of the visit to the Scottish Parliament, Presiding Officer Rt Hon Ken Macintosh MSP, said:
“The friendship between Scotland and Malawi is deep and long standing. It will be a great honour for me to welcome President Mutharika to Holyrood, and to introduce him to Members here.
“The guests coming to Parliament to hear the President reflect the breadth of this friendship and cooperation between the two countries. In addition to members of the Consular Corps, the Parliament’s Public Gallery will be filled with charity workers and church leaders.
“While Scotland and Malawi have ties which stretch back more than 150 years, this visit will also look to the future and the many ways in which we can work together in the coming years.”
Organisations working with Malawi who have representatives coming to hear the President’s address include Scottish Universities, charities and a local veterinary practice. The President’s Address will also be watched by school pupils visiting the Scottish Parliament.
The Presiding Officer will present the President with carved topographical maps of Scotland and Malawi made by Jamie Frame Design, a craft firm based in Lanark, close to the birthplace of David Livingstone.
The President’s Address to MSPs will be broadcast on Parliament TV and the Parliament’s Facebook channel. Watch live from 13:00 on Thursday.
The President will be accompanied on his visit to the Scottish Parliament by his wife, Her Excellency Professor Gertrude Maseko; the Malawian Minister of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation, Hon Dr Emmanuel Fabiano MP; and the Malawian High Commissioner to the UK, His Excellency Kena Mphonda.
Previous visits by international Heads of State have included:
- June 2016 – President Michael D. Higgins of Ireland
- March 2016 – President Mahama of Ghana
- March 2013 – President Banda of Malawi
- October 2007 – President Mesić of Croatia
- January 2007 – President Grímsson of Iceland
- November 2006 – President Kaczyński of Poland
- July 2006 – President Adamkus of Lithuania
- July 2006 – President Rüütel of Estonia
- November 2005 – President Mutharika of Malawi
- January 2005 – President Marović of Serbia & Montenegro
- February 2002 – President Sampaio of Portugal
- June 2001 – President Mbeki of South Africa
- May 2000 – President Muluzi of Malawi
- September 2000 – President Rawlings of Ghana